More Burbia....

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Continued Sneak Preview


Two years later, Mutt, who's now remarried and has another child, goes to the Nolans' with his younger daughter (who is Maggie) to find Eileen to apologize to her and bring her back home. At the Nolans' home, Mutt finds that his oldest daughter, who is now ten, is part of a girls' singing group—as is Kimmy, whom Eileen seems to have forgiven—which is owned by the Nolans. When Eileen spots her father after a singing rehearsal, she turns away in a huff. Mutt approaches her and says, "Now, Eileen, I've come to take you home!" Eileen snaps, "I'm not going home with you! I've had a great life here! The Nolans treat me well! They even built me a refuge building where I can take care of injured animals till they get well enough to be released back into the wild!" Mutt says, "I've changed my ways, honey, but I'll get to that later. First, I wanna introduce you to your half-sister, Sheila. She's already a year and a half old." Eileen asks, "What do you mean, 'half-sister?' Don't you mean 'sister' since you got her from the orphanage? How dare you replace me? Take her back!" Mutt says, "No, she really is your half-sister! I got married again after you left." Eileen asks, "So you replaced Mom as well as me? You know I still miss her after she died three years ago. And who is this new woman anyway? Is she some whore that you picked up at the bar while drunk?" Mutt says, "No, I met her at a nightclub and we quickly fell in love. I gave up the alcohol after you ran away because I knew it was the cause of all of our troubles. I still have my friends but I only see them at work. I don't know why I didn't wanna be on your team at that party two years ago. I was such a jerk. And you didn't notice it, but I had brought my flask along in a paper bag and I always drank out of it. (Eileen groans) Now please come home so you can meet your stepmother. We've got a new house as a matter of fact!" Eileen asks, "So you finally sold that shack you called our house." Mutt says, "Yes. I'm sorry I didn't pay attention to you earlier. And don't forget that even though I didn't pay much attention to you, I still loved you. Although there are two more women in my life right now and you're growing up, you'll always be my little girl." Eileen smiles and hugs her father tightly. She holds her father's hand as she walks out the door with him and her half-sister. Yet, on her way out the door, Eileen says to her former caretakers, "Mr. and Mrs. Nolan, thanks for taking care of me but I think I'm gonna go home now. My father may not be perfect but damn it, he's the best father there is, and I love him." Mrs. Nolan says, "Well, it was nice having you living with us. Your father is very lucky to have a child like you." Mr. Nolan says, "It's very sad to see you go, Eileen. Take care now." After some time, Mutt brings his daughter to the new house, which is quite a charming little building. In the house, Eileen sees her stepmother (who is Ann Sheridan, one of James Cagney's many leading lady co-stars [she was in Angels with Dirty Faces, Torrid Zone, and City for Conquest]) and asks, "My stepmother! I hope you're not mean! What's your name?" Her stepmother says, "I'm not mean but I'm pretty tough. My name is Arlene and I will be your stepmother." Eileen says, "My life is getting better already!" So, right then and there, the O'Hara family lived happily ever after.

(A little note: Mutt O'Hara's deceased wife is Colleen O'Hara [who is Joan Blondell]. She died of a deadly poisonous rattlesnake bite.)
James Cagney, Hollywood Nocturne

No comments:

Post a Comment

EW.com: Today's Latest Headlines

PopWatch